Re: Slowdown due to threads bouncing between HT cores

From: Steinar H. Gunderson
Date: Sun Oct 05 2014 - 07:19:38 EST

On Sat, Oct 04, 2014 at 09:50:04AM -0500, Chuck Ebbert wrote:
> Try playing with /proc/sys/kernel/sched_migration_cost_ns. This sets
> the number of nanoseconds the kernel will wait before considering
> moving a thread to another CPU. I have mine set to 50000000.

I can't get any good effect out of this. I tried both 50 ms (your value) and
500 ms, and while it seems (by eyeballing the per-cpu display in top) to
_sometimes_ lock the processes to cores, more often than not, they still
bounce around between all 40. Worse still, when it _does_, it seems to often
lock them to hyperthread pairs (e.g., I've seen it put threads only on
virtual cores 0-9 and 20-29, which means it has all of them on one socket!)

Notwithstanding top, the benchmarks don't improve; setting cores manually
with taskset still is much better.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/