Re: [patch for-3.17] mm, thp: fix collapsing of hugepages on madvise

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Oct 05 2014 - 13:15:59 EST

On Sat, Oct 4, 2014 at 7:48 PM, David Rientjes <rientjes@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This occurs because the madvise(2) handler for thp, hugepage_advise(),
> clears VM_NOHUGEPAGE on the stack and it isn't stored in vma->vm_flags
> until the final action of madvise_behavior(). This causes the
> khugepaged_enter_vma_merge() to be a no-op in hugepage_advise() when the
> vma had previously had VM_NOHUGEPAGE set.

So color me confused, and when I'm confused I don't apply patches. But
there's no "hugepage_advise()" in my source tree, and quite frankly, I
also don't like how you now separately pass in vm_flags that always
*should* be the same as vma->vm_flags.

Maybe this is against -mm, but it's marked for stable and sent to me,
so I'm piping up about my lack of applying this.

Linus