Re: [GIT PULL] arm64, thunder: Enable Cavium Thunder SoC Family

From: Robert Richter
Date: Mon Oct 06 2014 - 04:34:50 EST

Arnd,

On 02.10.14 17:44:48, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Thursday 02 October 2014 16:44:52 Robert Richter wrote:
> > The following changes since commit 9e82bf014195d6f0054982c463575cdce24292be:
> >
> > Linux 3.17-rc5 (2014-09-14 17:50:12 -0700)
> >
> > are available in the git repository at:
> >
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rric/linux.git tags/for-arm-soc-v3.18
> >
> > for you to fetch changes up to 1200e87a26b6b4fe1f473267c83515117e08ee39:
> >
> > arm64, defconfig: Enable Cavium Thunder SoC in defconfig (2014-09-23 15:10:55 +0200)

> > Enablement patches for Cavium Thunder SoC Family. The patches add
> > devicetree and Kconfig support and then add Thunder to the defconfig.
>
> I've pulled them into a new next/arm64 branch in the arm-soc tree,
> but noticed that you had based them on top of -rc5. If you have no
> strong reasons to pick a newer -rc, it's better to base on top of
> -rc1, to save us trouble with backmerges.
>
> I ended up rebasing to -rc1, since you gave the option to apply the
> patches directly.

thanks for applying the patches.

Ok, I think a reason to update to -rc5 was a conflict in another patch
of my patch stack unrelated to this series. Wasn't aware of
backmerging conflicts you might get and will avoid unnecessary updates
in the future.

Will use arm@xxxxxxxxxx in next requests.

> Finally, I also wanted to pull your "dts, kbuild: Implement support
> for dtb vendor subdirs", but that clearly conflicts with this series,
> and I decided not to pull that and take this one instead.

I was hoping one or the other patch set would have applied earlier,
then I could have rebased them. Anyway, will do this now and let you
know after the merge window closed.

> I'm guessing we'd see conflicts with other patches in linux-next,
> so I'd rather not do the merge any more now, we can take that one
> for 3.19.

Fine with me.

-Robert