Re: getaddrinfo slowdown in 3.17.1, due to getifaddrs

From: Eric Dumazet
Date: Fri Oct 17 2014 - 12:28:14 EST

On Fri, 2014-10-17 at 07:25 +0100, Thomas Graf wrote:
> On 10/17/14 at 02:34am, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 02:21:32AM +0200, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > We recently upgraded a machine from 3.14.5 to 3.17.1, and a Perl script we're
> > > running to poll SNMP suddenly needed ten times as much time to complete.
> >
> > e341694e3eb57fcda9f1adc7bfea42fe080d8d7a looks like it might cause something
> > like this (it certainly added the synchronize_net() call). Cc-ing people on
> > that commit; quoting the entire rest of the message for reference.
>
> I think the only option at this point is to re-add the nltable lock to
> netlink_lookup() so we can drop the synchronize_net() until we find a
> way to RCUify socket destruction. I will cook up a patch today unless
> somebody can come up with a smarter way to work around needing the
> synchronize_net().

I had a patch to add conditional RCUify socket destruction for some kind
of sockets (opt-in at protocol level).

I needed this to remove too expensive UDP socket refcount inc/dec (so
get rid of SLAB_DESTROY_BY_RCU, and instead use call_rcu() or kfree_rcu
thing)

But I couldn't finish and submit this for 3.18, and I believe I got it
wrong anyway. Cant remember exact details right now, maybe later in the
day, once my headache is better.