Re: [RFC 1/4] arm64: amd-seattle: Adding device tree for AMD Seattle platform

From: Suravee Suthikulpanit
Date: Fri Oct 24 2014 - 08:08:33 EST

On 10/10/2014 8:45 AM, Mark Rutland wrote:
Hi Suravee,

From: Suravee Suthikulpanit <Suravee.Suthikulpanit@xxxxxxx>

Initial revision of device tree for AMD Seattle platform

To check: how is it possible to make use of a DTB generated from this
dts? Can a user update the DTB used by the Seattle firmware?

In the current FW, there is a mechanism that users can modify and provide UEFI with the updated device tree to override the one that comes with Seattle firmware.

[...];
+
+ timer@1,1060000 {
+ compatible = "arm,standalone_a5_twd";
+ reg = <0 0x1060000 0 0x40>;
+ interrupts =
+ <0 378 4>,
+ <0 379 4>;
+ };

This binding does not exist in mainline.

I am removing this.

+
+ ccp: ccp@1,00100000 {
+ compatible = "amd,ccp-seattle-v1a";
+ reg = <0 0x00100000 0 0x10000>;
+ interrupts = <0 3 4>;
+ dma-coherent;
+ };

Nor does this.

The binding for this one is here (http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/crypto/amd-ccp.txt).

> [....]

+ linux,pci-probe-only;

Why is this necessary?

This was defined in the PCI Generic Host Controller binding here (http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/pci/host-generic-pci.txt).

+ };
+
+ aliases {
+ serial0 = &v2m_serial0;
+ };
+
+ /* Note: This entry is modified by UEFI */

In what way is this modified?

1. UEFI would basically take out certain CPUs and modify the cpu-map accordingly.
2. Change method to psci-0.2 when support is in place.
3. Update release address.

Actually, the "cpus" entry should/will be fully auto generated by UEFI in the future BIOS. I think I'll be taking this out completely for now.

[...]

+
+ /* Note: This entry is modified by UEFI */
+ memory@8000000000 {
+ device_type = "memory";
+ reg = <0x00000080 0x00000000 0x1 0x00000000>; /* 4GB */
+ };

Why does UEFI modify this? When booted via UEFI we use the UEFI memory
map.

True. But for non-EFI boot (as fallback), we still need this. UEFI will update the amount of detected memory.

Actually, same here as the "cpus", this entry should/will go away completely from the static DT, and UEFI will auto-generate this in the future firmware.

Thanks,

Suravee