CPU time not showing up in /proc/stat (or top)

From: Martin Martin
Date: Fri Oct 24 2014 - 14:27:34 EST

I have a virtual machine that's using ip_tables to set up some
connection forwarding. According to top, sar and /proc/stat, I'm > 99%
idle. However, perf says I'm only about 72% idle, with the rest all
accounted for by swapper in __do_softirq and various network related
functions, most involving VMXnet 3, since that's the network driver
I'm using.

VMware's own performance monitoring roughly corresponds to what perf
is saying: about 25% of cpu being used.

Is there some way to monitor the actual amount of CPU being used, that
includes time spent in network drivers, servicing soft irqs and all
like that?

If there's a better mailing list for this topic, I'm sorry for the
noise and please let me know where I should post my question.

Thanks,
Martin