Re: [GIT PULL] overlay filesystem v25

From: Al Viro
Date: Mon Oct 27 2014 - 13:28:32 EST

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 08:59:01AM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> Indeed, life is hard here. Keep in mind that lock acquisition is not
> guaranteed to prevent prior operations from being reordered into the
> critical section, possibly as follows:
>
> CPU1:
> grab lock
> if (!global)
> global = p;
> /* Assume all of CPU2's accesses happen here. */
> p->foo = 1;

A bit of context: p is a local pointer to struct file here and alloc is
opening it...

> This clearly allows CPU2 to execute as follows:
>
> CPU2:
> p = global; /* gets p */
> if (p) /* non-NULL */
> q = p->foo; /* might not be 1 */
>
> Not only that, on DEC Alpha, even if CPU1's accesses are ordered, CPU2's
> accesses can be misordered. You need rcu_dereference() or the combination
> of ACCESS_ONCE() and smp_read_barrier_depends() to avoid this issue.
> As always, see http://www.openvms.compaq.com/wizard/wiz_2637.html for
> more info.
>
> So no, there is no guarantee. I am assuming that the lock grabbed by
> CPU1 guards all assignments to "global", otherwise the code needs further
> help. I am further assuming that the memory pointed to by CPU1's "p"
> is inaccessible to any other CPU, as in CPU1 just allocated the memory.
> Otherwise, the assignment "p->foo = 1" is questionable. And finally,
> I am assuming that p->foo stays constant once it has been made
> accessible to readers.
>
> But the following should work:
>
> CPU1:
> p->foo = 1; /* Assumes p is local. */
> smp_mb__before_spinlock();
> grab lock
> if (!global) /* Assumes lock protects all assignments to global. */
> global = p;
>
> CPU2:
> p = rcu_dereference(global);
> if (p)
> q = p->foo; /* Assumes p->foo constant once visible to readers. */
> /* Also assumes p and q are local. */
>
> If the assumptions called out in the comments do not hold, you at least
> need ACCESS_ONCE(), and perhaps even more synchronization. For more info
> on ACCESS_ONCE(), Jon's LWN article is at http://lwn.net/Articles/508991/.

First of all, this "p->foo = 1" is a shorthand for initialization of
struct file done by opening a file. What you are saying is that it
can leak past the point where we stick a pointer to freshly opened
file into a place where another CPU can see it, but not past the
barrier in dropping the lock, right?

And you are suggesting rcu_dereference() as a way to bring the required
barriers in. Ouch... The names are really bad, but there's another
fun issue - rcu_dereference brings in sparse noise. Wouldn't direct use
of smp_read_barrier_depends() be cleaner, anyway?