Re: [RFC/PATCH] PM / Sleep: Timer quiesce in freeze state

From: Li, Aubrey
Date: Tue Oct 28 2014 - 19:23:07 EST

On 2014/10/28 16:25, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 03:52:17PM +0800, Li, Aubrey wrote:
>
>> Both clocksource and clockevents are not per-cpu device, why do we need
>> to run their suspend callback on *each* cpu?
>
> Uhm, you mean to say we don't use per-cpu timer lists and per-cpu timer
> hardware for clockevents then?
>

>From OS level, currently tick device is per-cpu implementation while
clocksource and clockevent devices are global device.

We already stop tick by clockevents_notify(suspend) on each cpu, that
addresses per-cpu timer list.

And, we already call clocksource_suspend() and clockevents_suspend() in
timekeeping_suspend() on the tick timer CPU. Yes, we didn't suspend
per-cpu timer hardware on x86 because x86 does not have lapic timer
suspend implementation. If we need to implement this, I think we can do
the cross-CPU calls in clocksource/clockevents suspend(), but I didn't
see any necessary we need to do this now.

so, I think we are okay now, :)

Thanks,
-Aubrey