Re: Progress on system crash traces with LTTng using DAX and pmem

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Thu Oct 30 2014 - 11:01:54 EST

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Matthew Wilcox" <willy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Yes, from what I understand they interact with a block device. They
are aiming at using ext2 over this block device. I'm adding Hans
Beckerus and Therry Vilmart in CC so they can describe how the mtd
device is used in their setup (which driver exactly, along with
kernel options to set it up if possible).

> I'm thinking we might want to add a flag somewhere in the block_dev / bdi
> that indicates whether DAX is supported. Currently we rely on whether
> ->direct_access is present in the block_device_operations to indicate
> that, so we'd have to have two block_dev_operations in mtd-blkdevs,
> depending on whether direct access is supported by the underlying
> MTD device. Not a show-stopper.

Great!

> > Please keep me in CC on your next patch versions. I'm willing
> > to spend some more time reviewing them if needed. By the way,
> > do you guys have a target time-frame/kernel version you aim
> > at for getting this work upstream ?
>
> We're trying to get it upstream ASAP. We've been working on it
> publically since December last year, and it's getting frustrating that
> it's not upstream already. I sent a v12 a few minutes before you sent
> this message ... I thought git would add you to the cc's since your
> Reviewed-by is on some of the patches.

It appears I have not received the patches. Would it be possible for you
to setup a git tree with those patches ? It would be easier for me to
try them out than to fish them from gmane. :-)

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers