Re: A desktop environment[1] kernel wishlist

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Thu Oct 30 2014 - 13:41:43 EST

On Thu 2014-10-30 16:15:15, Bastien Nocera wrote:

> > > Android devices don't suspend to RAM. Neither do Tizen devices AFAIK.
> >
> > Actually, Android devices have historically always suspended the CPU
> > whenever there wasn't a wakelock keeping the device to suspend. You
> > might not consider this "suspend to RAM" but in fact it uses the
> > identical kernel and hardware facilities as the legacy "suspend to
> > RAM" mechanism.
>
> I wouldn't consider this "suspend to RAM", but that's because I expect
> the firmware to implement most of that. Anyway, that's splitting
> hair.

Could you rephrase that?

Anyway, this is "echo mem > /sys/power/state" or
suspend-to-RAM. Android does the same, with more tricky wakeup logic.

> > > I don't think anyone was discussing cell phones in particular in this
> > > thread, and knowing when user-space got woken up because of the baseband
> > > processor having information for us would still be useful.
> >
> > It matters because for laptops, what's important is whether the lid is
> > closed or not. Whether and how the laptop was "woken" is really
> > beside the point, as others have argued. Your counter argument is
> > that tablets don't have lids. But tablets are going to be using
> > schemes similar to Android, Tizen, and Maemo, and they are *not* going
> > to be using the legacy suspend-to-RAM model, because it's not
> > sufficiently good at power saving.
>
> There are plenty of tablets around that aren't Android devices. There
> are plenty of laptops that can be switched to a tablet mode for which
> this wouldn't apply either.

Yes, still the right question is "was the power button pressed while
userland was suspended" not "was the system woken by power
button"... and yes, I guess kernel should add the "power button" event
to the input queue, even if that press was used to wake up the system.

Pavel