Re: Cache Allocation Technology Design

From: Tejun Heo
Date: Thu Oct 30 2014 - 18:22:45 EST

Hello,

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 10:43:53PM +0100, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> If a cpu bounces (by accident or whatever) then there is no trace left
> behind that the system didn't in fact observe/obey its constraints. It
> should have provided an error or failed the hotplug. But we digress,
> lets not have this discussion (again :) and focus on the new thing.

Oh, we sure can have notifications / persistent markers to track
deviation from the configuration. It's not like the old scheme did
much better in this respect. It just wrecked the configuration
without telling anyone. If this matters enough, we need error
recording / reporting no matter which way we choose. I'm not against
that at all.

> > So, the inherent problem is always there no matter what we do and the
> > question is that of a policy to deal with it. One of the main issues
> > I see with failing cgroup-level operations for controller specific
> > reasons is lack of visibility. All you can get out of a failed
> > operation is a single error return and there's no good way to
> > communicate why something isn't working, well not even who's the
> > culprit. Having "effective" vs "configured" makes it explicit that
> > the kernel isn't capable of honoring all configurations and make the
> > details of the situation visible.
>
> Right, so that is a short coming of the co-mount idea. Your effective vs
> configured thing is misleading and surprising though. Operations might
> 'succeed' and still have failed, without any clear
> indication/notification of change.

Hmmm... it gets more pronounced w/ co-mounting but it's also problem
with isolated hierarchies too. How is changing configuration
irreversibly without any notificaiton any less surprising? It's the
same end result. The only difference is that there's no way to go
back when the resource which went offline comes back. I really don't
think configuration being silently changed counts as a valid
notification mechanism to userland.

> > Another part is inconsistencies across controllers. This sure is
> > worse when there are multiple controllers involved but inconsistent
> > behaviors across different hierarchies are annoying all the same with
> > single controller multiple hierarchies. Userland often manages some
> > of those hierarchies together and it can get horribly confusing. No
> > matter what, we need to settle on a single policy and having effective
> > configuration seems like the better one.
>
> I'm not entirely sure I follow. Without co-mounting its entirely obvious
> which one is failing.

Sure, "which" is easier w/o co-mounting. Why can still be hard tho as
migration is an "apply all the configs" event.

> Also, per the previous point, since you need a notification channel
> anyway, you might as well do the expected fail and report more details
> through that.

How do you match the failure to the specific migration attempt tho? I
really can't think of a good and simple interface for that given the
interface that we have. For most controllers, it is fairly straight
forward to avoid controller specific migration failures. Sure, cpuset
is special but it has to be special one way or the other.

> > This controller might not even require the distinction between
> > configured and effective tho? Can't a new child just inherit the
> > parent's configuration and never allow the config to become completely
> > empty?
>
> It can do that. But that still has a problem, there is a mapping in
> hardware which restricts the number of active configurations. The total
> configuration space is larger than the supported active configurations.
>
> So _something_ must fail. The initial proposal was mkdir failing when
> there were more than the hardware supported active config cgroup
> directories. The alternative was on-demand activation where we only
> allocate the hardware resource when the first task gets moved into the
> group -- which then clearly can fail.

Hmmm... why can't it just refuse creating a different configuration
when its config space is full? Make children inherit the parent's
configuration and refuse config writes which require it to create a
new one if the config space is full. Seems pretty straight-forward.
What am I missing?

> > Yeah, it needs to be a separate interface where a given userland task
> > can access its own knobs in a race-free way (cgroup interface can't
> > even do that) whether that's a pseudo filesystem, say,
> > /proc/self/BLAHBLAH or new syscalls. This one is necessary regardless
> > of what happens with cgroup. cgroup simply isn't a suitable mechanism
> > to expose these types of knobs to individual userland threads.
>
> I'm not sure what you're saying there. You want to replace the
> task-controllers with another pseudo filesystem that does it differently
> but still is a hierarchical controller?, how is that different from just
> not co-mounting the task and process based controllers, either way you
> end up with 2 separate hierarchies.

It doesn't have much to do with co-mounting.

The process itself often has to be involved in assigning different
properties to its threads. It requires intimiate knowledge of which
one is doing what meaning that accessing self's knobs is the most
common use case rather than an external entity reaching inside. This
means that this should be a programmable interface accessible from
each binary. cgroup is horrible for this. A process has to read path
from /proc/self/cgroups and then access the cgroup that it's in, which
BTW could have changed inbetween.

It really needs a proper programmable interface which guarantees self
access. I don't know what the exact form should be. It can be an
extension to sched_setattr(), a new syscall or a pseudo filesystem
scoped to the process.

> > I don't know. I'd even be happy with cgroup not having
> > anything to do with RT slice distribution. Do you have any ideas
> > which can make RT slice distribution more palatable? If we can't
> > decouple the two, we'd be effectively requiring whoever is managing
> > the cpu controller to also become a full-fledged RT slice arbitrator,
> > which might actually work too.
>
> The admin you mean? He had better know what the heck he's doing if he's

Resource management is automated in a lot of cases and it's only gonna
be more so in the future. It's about having behaviors which are more
palatable to that but please read on.

> running RT apps, great fail is otherwise fairly deterministic in his
> future.
>
> The thing is, you cannot arbiter this stuff, RR/FIFO are horrible pieces
> of shit interfaces, they don't describe near enough. People need to be
> involved.

So, I think it'd be best if RT/deadline stuff can be separated out so
that grouping the usual BE scheduling doesn't affect them, but if
that's not feasible, yeah, I agree the only thing which we can do is
requiring the entity which is controlling the cpu hierarchy, which may
be a human admin or whatever manager, to distribute them explicitly.
There doesn't seem to be any way around it.

> > Can't a task just lose RT / deadline properties when migrating into a
> > different RT / deadline domain? We already modify task properties on
> > migration for cpuset after all. It'd be far simpler that way.
>
> Again, why move it in the first place? This all sounds like whomever is
> doing this is clueless. You don't move RT tasks about if you're not
> intimately aware of them and their requirements.

Oh, seriously, if I could build this thing from ground up, I'd just
tie it to process hierarchy and make the associations static. It's
just that we can't do that at this point and I'm trying to find a
behaviorally simple and acceptable way to deal with task migrations so
that neither kernel or userland has to be too complex. So, behaviors
which blow configs across migrations and consider them as "fresh" is
completely fine by me. I mostly wanna avoid requiring complicated
failure handling from the users which most likely won't be tested a
lot and crap out when something exceptional happens. If it blows
RT/deadline settings reliably on each and every migration and refuse
RT priorities or cpu controller configs which can lead the invalid
configs, it'd be perfect.

This whole thing is really about having consistent behavior patterns
which avoid obscure failure modes whenever possible. Unified
hierarchy does build on top of those but we do want these
consistencies regardless of that.

Thanks.

--
tejun