Re: A desktop environment[1] kernel wishlist

From: One Thousand Gnomes
Date: Thu Oct 30 2014 - 19:21:47 EST

> I wouldn't consider this "suspend to RAM", but that's because I expect
> the firmware to implement most of that. Anyway, that's splitting hair.

Quite the reverse in many cases. If your hardware has low power idle you
probably have almost no firmware involved (if any). It's the old world
model of S3 which is all firmware powered.

The extreme case of this is that there are processors out there where
the equivalent of a 'wait for IRQ' instruction is the entire thing.

Alan