Re: [patch 1/3] mm: embed the memcg pointer directly into struct page

From: Johannes Weiner
Date: Mon Nov 03 2014 - 17:36:42 EST

On Mon, Nov 03, 2014 at 04:58:07PM -0500, David Miller wrote:
> From: "Kirill A. Shutemov" <kirill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 23:52:06 +0200

> >> Heh, that would have followed right after where you cut the quote:
> >> with CONFIG_SLUB, that pointer actually sits in already existing
> >> struct page padding, which means that I'm saving one pointer per page
> >> (8 bytes per 4096 byte page, 0.19% of memory), plus the pointer and
> >> padding in each memory section. I also save the (minor) translation
> >> overhead going from page to page_cgroup and the maintenance burden
> >> that stems from having these auxiliary arrays (see deleted code).
> >
> > I read the description. I want to know if runtime win (any benchmark data?)
> > from moving mem_cgroup back to the struct page is measurable.
> >
> > If the win is not significant, I would prefer to not occupy the padding:
> > I'm sure we will be able to find a better use for the space in struct page
> > in the future.
>
> I think the simplification benefits completely trump any performan
> metric.

I agree.

Also, nobody is using that space currently, and I can save memory by
moving the pointer in there. Should we later add another pointer to
struct page we are only back to the status quo - with the difference
that booting with cgroup_disable=memory will no longer save the extra
pointer per page, but again, if you care that much, you can disable
memory cgroups at compile-time.

So don't look at it as occpuying the padding, it is rather taking away
the ability to allocate that single memcg pointer at runtime, while at
the same time saving a bit of memory for common configurations until
somebody else needs the struct page padding.