Re: absurdly high "optimal_io_size" on Seagate SAS disk

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Thu Nov 06 2014 - 12:45:28 EST

On 11/06/2014 11:34 AM, Martin K. Petersen wrote:
"Chris" == Chris Friesen <chris.friesen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Chris> Perhaps the ST900MM0026 should be blacklisted as well?

Sure. I'll widen the net a bit for that Seagate model.

That'd work, but is it the best way to go? I mean, I found one report of a similar problem on an SSD (model number unknown). In that case it was a near-UINT_MAX value as well.

The problem with the blacklist is that until someone patches it, the drive is broken. And then it stays blacklisted even if the firmware gets fixed.

I'm wondering if it might not be better to just ignore all values larger than X (where X is whatever we think is the largest conceivable reasonable value).

Chris