Re: [RFC] ptrace: add generic SET_SYSCALL request

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Fri Nov 07 2014 - 07:45:03 EST

On Friday 07 November 2014 12:11:19 Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 07, 2014 at 01:03:00PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > On Friday 07 November 2014 11:55:51 Will Deacon wrote:
> > > We need this for arm64 and, since all architectures seem to have a mechanism
> > > for setting a system call via ptrace, moving it to generic code should make
> > > sense for new architectures too, no?
> >
> > It makes a little more sense now, but I still don't understand why you
> > need to set the system call number via ptrace. What is this used for,
> > and why doesn't any other architecture have this?
>
> All other architectures have a way. x86, for example, you set orig_eax
> (or orig_rax) to change the syscall number. On ARM, that doesn't work
> because we don't always pass the syscall number in a register.

Sorry for being slow today, but why can't we use the same interface that
s390 has on arm64:

static int s390_system_call_get(struct task_struct *target,
const struct user_regset *regset,
unsigned int pos, unsigned int count,
void *kbuf, void __user *ubuf)
{
unsigned int *data = &task_thread_info(target)->system_call;
return user_regset_copyout(&pos, &count, &kbuf, &ubuf,
data, 0, sizeof(unsigned int));
}

static int s390_system_call_set(struct task_struct *target,
const struct user_regset *regset,
unsigned int pos, unsigned int count,
const void *kbuf, const void __user *ubuf)
{
unsigned int *data = &task_thread_info(target)->system_call;
return user_regset_copyin(&pos, &count, &kbuf, &ubuf,
data, 0, sizeof(unsigned int));
}

static const struct user_regset s390_regsets[] = {
{
.core_note_type = NT_S390_SYSTEM_CALL,
.n = 1,
.size = sizeof(unsigned int),
.align = sizeof(unsigned int),
.get = s390_system_call_get,
.set = s390_system_call_set,
},
};

Is it just preference for being consistent with ARM32, or is there a
reason this won't work?

It's not that I care strongly about the interface, my main point is
that the changelog doesn't describe why one interface was used instead
the other.

Arnd