Re: 3.18-rc3: soft lockup in compact_zone, dead machine

From: Vlastimil Babka
Date: Fri Nov 07 2014 - 11:54:24 EST

On 11/07/2014 11:06 AM, Pavel Machek wrote:
Hi!

My main machine died completely, it seems that original failure was
soft lockup in compact_zone().

(expanding CC)

Welcome to the club...

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.mm/124451/match=isolate_freepages_block+very+high+intermittent+overhead

https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/11/4/144

https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/11/4/904

How reproducible is your case? So far it seems that git revert e14c720efdd73c6d69cd8d07fa894bcd11fe1973 helped one of the reporters.
I still don't know what's wrong, but suspect a free scanner (cc->free_pfn) position being broken (i.e. underflow), which would allow isolate_migratepages() to run for a loooooooong time. The code does cond_resched() periodically, so soft lockup looks strange, but I guess that can happen in some contexts?

Vlastimil