Re: [Cocci] spatch for trivial pointer comparison style?

From: Julia Lawall
Date: Sat Nov 15 2014 - 01:11:30 EST

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014, Joe Perches wrote:

> On Fri, 2014-11-14 at 10:18 +0100, Julia Lawall wrote:
> > On Thu, 13 Nov 2014, Joe Perches wrote:
> []
> > > Yes, I agree with some of the things Al Viro said
> > > there, but isn't 'type t; t *p;' a subset of
> > > "expression *e"?
>
> > No. How would you expect it to be different.
>
> []

No. [] and * are treated completely differently.

> > type t means that the type
> > is known. expression *e means that there is a * in the type.
>
> I had thought "expression *" could be r-value and
> "type t; t *p;" could be l-value.

No, you made that one up :) As we considered that it would be common to
want to specify the type of an expression, we thought it would be tiresome
to have to put eg expression int x. So you can just say int x.

The downside is that people write

identifer x;

and then don't understand the error message, because any misspelled
metavariable kind is considered to be a type name.

julia