[patches][RFC] situation with csum_and_copy_... API

From: Al Viro
Date: Tue Nov 18 2014 - 14:41:01 EST

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 08:47:45AM +0000, Al Viro wrote:

> I do have a patch doing just that; the question is what to do with csum-and-copy
> primitives. Originally I planned to simply strip those access_ok() from those
> (both the explicit calls and use of copy_from_user() where we ought to use
> __copy_from_user(), etc.), but that's not nice to potential out-of-tree callers
> of those suckers. If any of those exist and manage to cope with the wonderful
> calling conventions, that is. As it is, we have the total of 4 callers of
> csum_and_copy_from_user() and 2 callers of csum_and_copy_to_user(), all in
> networking code. Do we care about potential out-of-tree users existing and
> getting screwed by such change? Davem, Linus?

FWIW, the beginning of series in question follows; removal of those
access_ok() is 3/5. The series is longer than that (see vfs.git#iov_iter-net
for a bit more, and there's more stuff in local queue still too much in flux
to push them out), but all the stuff relevant to validating iovecs on
sendmsg/recvmsg and getting rid of excessive access_ok() is in the first 5
commits.