Re: [RFC 2/2] kvm: eventfd: detect integer overflow using check_*_overflow

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Nov 26 2014 - 14:12:30 EST

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 11:06 AM, Sasha Levin <sasha.levin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that this is something GCC will warn you about in the
> compilation stage.

It does? I've never seen it, but maybe it's a new thing.

The gcc signedness warnings have historically been so wretched that
it's just sad, and they have to be turned off.

> kernel/time/ntp.c:process_adjtimex_modes():
>
> if (txc->modes & ADJ_FREQUENCY) {
> time_freq = txc->freq * PPM_SCALE; <=== Undefined overflow
> time_freq = min(time_freq, MAXFREQ_SCALED);
> time_freq = max(time_freq, -MAXFREQ_SCALED);
> /* update pps_freq */
> pps_set_freq(time_freq);
> }
>
> The multiplication is between signed integers, and it overflows (user triggerable).

Well, we check that the end result - overflowed or not - is in a sane
range. So this might fall under the heading of "user gets what he asks
for".

Linus