Re: Question about fixed regulator DT properties

From: Mark Brown
Date: Wed Nov 26 2014 - 14:22:23 EST

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 09:13:50PM +0200, Vladimir Zapolskiy wrote:

> If I want to enable a fixed regulator (not controlled by
> bootloader/firmware) by Linux on boot or when fixed.ko module is bound,
> shall I specify the same "regulator-boot-on" property? At least this is
> the practical way to enable a fixed and/or gpio regulator right now, but
> is it correct?

It depends what you're trying to accomplish by doing this.

> Or should the regulator always be enabled externally (assuming
> "regulator-always-on" is omitted) after registration independently on
> "regulator-boot-on" property?

Best practice is that there should be a consumer which keeps the
regulator enabled whenever it is required. There should normally be
little use for boot-on, it's mostly there to ease handover from the
bootloader in cases where we can't read the hardware state - if you're
not sure if you should use it the chances are you shouldn't.