Re: [GIT PULL] USB driver fixes for 3.18-rc7

From: Peter Stuge
Date: Sun Nov 30 2014 - 17:15:35 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> I seem to get this problem possibly more commonly at boot these days:
> usb 1-6: device descriptor read/64, error -71
> xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Setup ERROR: setup context command for slot 1.
> usb 1-6: hub failed to enable device, error -22

Since my upgrade to 98e8d2e0 from something a bit older I also get
-71 error messages on boot and on resume, however this is older
hardware with only ehci-pci.

In my case some of the descriptors coming back from the device are bogus
when the device is first seen. The device then disconnects, and when it
is seen again by the kernel, nearly one second later, the descriptors
are fine and there are no errors. vid/pid change from hardware ODM to
OEM, suggesting that my device simply isn't ready when Linux first
talks with it.

//Peter