Re: frequent lockups in 3.18rc4

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Dec 03 2014 - 13:46:03 EST

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've been stuck on this kernel for a few days now trying to prove it
> good/bad one way or the other, and I'm leaning towards good, given
> that it recovers, even though the traces look similar.

Ugh. But this does *not* happen with 3.16, right? Even the non-fatal case?

If so, I'd be inclined to call it "bad". But there might well be two
bugs: one that makes that NMI watchdog trigger, and another one that
then makes it be a hard lockup. I'd think it would be good to figure
out the "NMI watchdog starts triggering" one first, though.

Linus