Re: [Xen-devel] [Intel-gfx] [Announcement] 2014-Q3 release of XenGT - a Mediated Graphics Passthrough Solution from Intel

From: Fabio Fantoni
Date: Thu Dec 04 2014 - 05:19:40 EST

Il 04/12/2014 03:45, Jike Song ha scritto:
Hi all,

We're pleased to announce a public release to Intel Graphics Virtualization Technology (Intel GVT-g, formerly known as XenGT). Intel GVT-g is a complete vGPU solution with mediated pass-through, supported today on 4th generation Intel Core(TM) processors with Intel Graphics processors. A virtual GPU instance is maintained for each VM, with part of performance critical resources directly assigned. The capability of running native graphics driver inside a VM, without hypervisor intervention in performance critical paths, achieves a good balance among performance, feature, and sharing capability. Though we only support Xen on Intel Processor Graphics so far, the core logic can be easily ported to other hypervisors.

The news of this update:

- kernel update from 3.11.6 to 3.14.1

- We plan to integrate Intel GVT-g as a feature in i915 driver. That effort is still under review, not included in this update yet

- Next update will be around early Jan, 2015

This update consists of:

- Windows HVM support with driver version 15.33.3910

- Stability fixes, e.g. stabilize GPU, the GPU hang occurrence rate becomes rare now

- Hardware Media Acceleration for Decoding/Encoding/Transcoding, VC1, H264 etc. format supporting

- Display enhancements, e.g. DP type is supported for virtual PORT

- Display port capability virtualization: with this feature, dom0 manager could freely assign virtual DDI ports to VM, not necessary to check whether the corresponding physical DDI ports are available

Please refer to the new setup guide, which provides step-to-step details about building/configuring/running Intel GVT-g:

https://github.com/01org/XenGT-Preview-kernel/blob/master/XenGT_Setup_Guide.pdf

The new source codes are available at the updated github repos:

Linux: https://github.com/01org/XenGT-Preview-kernel.git

Xen: https://github.com/01org/XenGT-Preview-xen.git

Qemu: https://github.com/01org/XenGT-Preview-qemu.git

More information about Intel GVT-g background, architecture, etc can be found at:

https://www.usenix.org/conference/atc14/technical-sessions/presentation/tian

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/XenGT-Xen%20Summit-v7_0.pdf

https://01.org/xen/blogs/srclarkx/2013/graphics-virtualization-xengt

The previous update can be found here:

http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2014-07/msg03248.html

Appreciate your comments!

Thanks for this very good project.
I did a fast look to xen patch about it, I have some small advices:
change to tools/examples/xmexample.hvm should be to tools/examples/xlexample.hvm instead since is implemented in xl and not xm.
I think is good rebase the patch to latest xen-unstable git that have many changes, for better reviews and for propose it upstream for xen 4.6 if will be good.

Thanks for any reply and sorry for my bad english.

--
Thanks,
Jike