Re: linux-next: manual merge of the bcm2835 tree with the arm-soc tree

From: Lee Jones
Date: Mon Dec 08 2014 - 11:51:40 EST

On Mon, 08 Dec 2014, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 12/08/2014 06:49 AM, Lee Jones wrote:

> >>Ah, I looked at the wrong branch and didn't see that I applied a patch
> >>instead of a pull request. It's all fine then, as long as you never
> >>intend to send any pull requests based on top of your current branch.
> >>
> >>You can possibly make Stephen's life a tiny bit simpler if you just
> >>drop all patches from your for-next branch as soon as we've picked
> >>them up into arm-soc.
> >
> >That is something I thought about, but I believe we have users of that
> >branch. I guess we could always point them to ARM-SoC, or reset the
> >branch to the aforementioned.
>
> The primary purpose of the kernel.org linux-rpi.git repo is for
> staging patches into arm-soc/linux-next. As such, just like any
> other similar repo, users should expect at least the for-xxx (e.g.
> for-next) branches to get reset as kernel versions tick over, in
> order to contain the content for the next kernel. Anyone using those
> branches for anything else (e.g. local development) simply has to be
> prepared to do a rebase themselves when that happens.

I agree with this.

> Equally, and patches that get sent to arm-soc should probably never
> be applied to linux-rpi.git; anything that gets applied to
> linux-rpi.git should get sent to arm-soc as a pull request. That
> avoids duplicate commits.

I'm okay to follow this rule if my perception of the tree is changed.
The current view is that this repo can be used by engineers/hobbyists
as a single resource to pick up RPi patches which are yet to complete
their full transition into Mainline.

Arnd and I had a discussion where I flagged my concerns about these
kinds of conflicts. The outcome was that as long as the patches were
simple enough, then no conflict should arise. Unfortunately this
turned out not to be quite true.

So I'm happy with whatever. Stephen, the repo is your concept. I'll
play it however you want me to play it. As the merge-window is now
open I'm going to eradicate rpi/for-next in any case.

--
Lee Jones
Linaro STMicroelectronics Landing Team Lead