Re: using DMA-API on ARM

From: Russell King - ARM Linux
Date: Mon Dec 08 2014 - 11:55:13 EST

On Mon, Dec 08, 2014 at 04:50:43PM +0000, Catalin Marinas wrote:

> > > dma_sync_single_for_cpu(, DMA_FROM_DEVICE) which ends up invalidating
> > > the cache (or that is our suspicion).
> >
> > I'm not sure about that:
> >
> > static void arm_dma_sync_single_for_cpu(struct device *dev,
> > dma_addr_t handle, size_t size, enum dma_data_direction dir)
> > {
> > unsigned int offset = handle & (PAGE_SIZE - 1);
> > struct page *page = pfn_to_page(dma_to_pfn(dev, handle-offset));
> > __dma_page_dev_to_cpu(page, offset, size, dir);
> > }
> >
> > Assuming a noncoherent linear (no IOMMU, no swiotlb, no dmabounce) mapping,
> > dma_to_pfn will return the correct pfn here, but pfn_to_page will return a
> > page pointer into the kernel linear mapping,
>
> Or a highmem page, both should be handled by dma_cache_maint_page().

A valid point, but one which is irrelevant to this thread, because we're
talking about a platform with only 128MB, and a PAGE_OFFSET of 2GB (hence
no highmem):

Memory: 125936K/131072K available (2682K kernel code, 103K rwdata,
744K rodata, 164K init, 188K bss, 5136K reserved)

Can we stay on-point to getting this problem solved, rather than drifting
off topic please?

--
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line: currently at 9.5Mbps down 400kbps up
according to speedtest.net.