Re: wl1251: NVS firmware data

From: Dan Williams
Date: Mon Dec 08 2014 - 14:28:25 EST

On Mon, 2014-12-08 at 20:15 +0100, Pali RohÃr wrote:
> On Monday 08 December 2014 19:50:17 Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> > Hi Pali,

> > > Hi Marcel. I think you did not understand this problem. This
> > > discussion is not about mac address. Please read email
> > > thread again and if there are some unclear pars, then ask.
> > > Thanks!
> >
> > I think that I pretty clearly understand the problem.
> > Calibration data, MAC address, what is the difference? For me
> > this is all the same. It is data that is specific to a device
> > or type of devices and it is stored somewhere else. In most
> > cases in some immutable memory/flash area.
> >

> Those calibration data (in form of binary NVS firmware file)
> needs to be sent to wl1251 chip. Mac address is not needed at
> this step (and kernel generate some random if is not provided).
>
> (Just to note wl1271 driver loads both MAC address and NVS data
> via one firmware file which is prepared by userspace, but this
> discussion is about wl1251...)
>
> > What you want is access to this data since the kernel driver
> > needs it. Do I get this so far ;)
> >

> Yes, we need to provide NVS data to kernel when kernel ask for
> them.
>
> > So my take is that request_firmware is not the right way to
> > get this data. Or more precisely make sure that this data is
> > available to kernel drivers. And what I am seeing here is
> > that instead of actually solving the bigger problem, we just
> > hack around it with request_firmware. Now surprisingly the
> > request_firmware loads files directly from the kernel and all
> > the hacks do not work anymore.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Marcel
>
> Just read emails again...
>
> Our problem is:
>
> linux-firmware.git tree provides two binary firmware files:
>
> ti-connectivity/wl1251-fw.bin
> ti-connectivity/wl1251-nvs.bin
>
> First is firmware file, second NVS file with generic calibration
> data. Kernel driver wl1251 now loads both firmware files via
> request_firmware. Generic calibration data are enough for wl1251
> chip (it should work). But devices have own calibration data
> stored somewhere else.
>
> On Nokia N900 NVS data are generated on-the-fly from some bytes
> from CAL (/dev/mtd1), from state of cellular network and from
> some other regulation settings.
>
> So I think that files stored in linux-firmware.git tree (which
> are also installed into /lib/firmware/) should be loaded with
> request_firmware function. Or not? Do you think something else?
> What other developers think?
>
> I'm against kernel driver for CAL (/dev/mtd1) for more reasons:
>
> 1) we have userspace open source code, but licensed under GPLv3.
> And until kernel change license, we cannot include it.
>
> 2) NVS data are (probably) not in one place, plus they depends on
> something other.
>
> 3) If manufacture XYZ create new device with its own storage
> format of calibration data this means that correct solution for
> [...]

a) change driver to prefer a new "wl1251-nvs-n900.bin" file, but fall
back to "wl1251-nvs.bin" if the first one isn't present
b) have a "wl1251-cal-nvs-update" service that, if wl1521-nvs-n900.bin
is *not* present mounts the CAL MTD, reads the data, writes it out into
wl1521-nvs-n900.bin, and the rmmod/modprobes the driver

and done? Stuff that's not N900 just wouldn't ship the update service
and would proceed like none of this happened.

Dan