Re: using DMA-API on ARM

From: Arend van Spriel
Date: Tue Dec 09 2014 - 06:07:35 EST

On 12/09/14 11:29, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:
On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 11:19:40AM +0100, Arend van Spriel wrote:
The issue did not trigger overnight so it seems setting bit 22<Shared
Attribute _Override_ Enable> solves the issue over here. Now the question is
how to move forward with this. As I understood from Catalin this patch was
not included as it was not considered responsibility of the linux kernel.

It is preferable for firmware to configure the L2 cache appropriately,
which includes things like the prefetch offsets as well as feature bits
like bit 22.

I think what I'll do is queue up a patch which adds a warning if bit 22
is not set, suggesting that firmware is updated to set this bit.

I was thinking in the same direction. Thanks to you all for looking into this. It did not feel right to use the dma_sync_single_for_cpu() for memory allocated with dma_alloc_coherent() and I am glad this got cleared up.

Regards,
Arend