Re: staging: writeboost: Add dm-writeboost

From: Akira Hayakawa
Date: Wed Dec 10 2014 - 05:21:25 EST

Hi,

> BUT if you'd still like dm-writeboost to go into staging
> _without_ any of these 5 work items being completed I'll ack it but to
> be very clear: dm-writeboost will not migrate out of staging until these
> items are resolved.
Yes. I will go into staging.
Greg, I will send you a patch with some fixes on TODO.

I agree with the 5 work times to be done for md.
I add some comments below,

>> i) Get this test so it's performance is similar to raw spindle.
Yes.

>> ii) Write good documentation in Documentation/device-mapper/. eg. How
>> do I remove a cache? When should I use dm-writeboost rather than
>> bcache or dm-cache?
>>
>> iii) Provide an equivalent to the fsck tool to repair a damaged cache.
OK. I took a look at tools for DM-cache.
I will implement something similar.
But please remember, since Writeboost is log-structured fsck tools aren't essentially needed.
On power failure, some logs at the head may be half done and discarding these logs can roll the state back.

> iv) perform full code review to catch various implementation issues,
> any style nits, etc.
> v) explore/implement read caching support (could the lack of read
> caching be contributing to why the git_extract test is so poor?)
This will be my first work in staging.

- Akira