Re: [GIT PULL 8/9] ARM: SoC defconfig changes for 3.19

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Wed Dec 10 2014 - 06:17:30 EST

On Wednesday 10 December 2014 09:56:55 Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> Hi Arnd,
>
> On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 10:43 PM, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The following changes since commit f114040e3ea6e07372334ade75d1ee0775c355e1:
> >
> > Linux 3.18-rc1 (2014-10-19 18:08:38 -0700)
> >
> > are available in the git repository at:
> >
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/arm/arm-soc.git tags/defconfig-for-linus
>
> On https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/arm/arm-soc.git/, the
> "Download" column for all tags shows "tag <abbrev>...".
> Clicking on any of them gives e.g.:
>
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/arm/arm-soc.git/tag/?id=066ae43e621090340384ab3751b68306c49cd503
> Bad tag reference: 066ae43e621090340384ab3751b68306c49cd503
>
> In other repositories
> (e.g. http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/), the
> "Download" column for tags shows "commit <abbrev>...", and the links behind
> them do work.
>
> Note that if I s/tag/commit/ in the URL, it does work.
>
> Is this an issue with your repository? Or does cgit on kernel.org needs to
> be updated for a new feature?

Very interesting. I suspect it's because I did something funny, but I don't
know if what I did was actually wrong or if cgit is wrong here, or possibly
both.

This is what I did:

- I wrote the tag descriptions on my main build machine, as an annotated but
not signed tag, since this machine does not have my gpg key on it,
using git-2.1.0

- I uploaded the unsigned tags to the arm-soc git tree and downloaded them
on the machine that does have my signing keys.

- For each tag I did 'git tag -fs $TAG $TAG' and signed the existing tag
description with my gpg key, using git-1.8.1.2

- I uploaded the updated tags back to the public tree

>From looking at the tag now (e.g. git show arm64-for-linus), it seems
the third step ended up signing a tag that points to another tag instead
of a commit:

> tag arm64-for-linus
> Tagger: Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx>
> Date: Tue Dec 9 17:31:38 2014 +0100
>
> ARM64: SoC changes for 3.19
>
> This adds support for two new ARM64 platforms:
>
> * ARM Juno
> * AMD Seattle
>
> We had submissions for a number of additional platforms
> from Samsung, Freescale and Spreadtrum but are still working
> out the best process for getting these merged.
>
> tag arm64-for-linus
> Tagger: Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx>
> Date: Tue Dec 9 16:32:04 2014 +0100
>
> ARM64: SoC changes for 3.19
>
> This adds support for two new ARM64 platforms:
>
> * ARM Juno
> * AMD Seattle
>
> We had submissions for a number of additional platforms
> from Samsung, Freescale and Spreadtrum but are still working
> out the best process for getting these merged.
> 70bcc9b arm64: amd-seattle: Fix PCI bus range due to SMMU limitation

and both have the same text in them, which is not what I had expected.

Arnd