Re: [GIT PULL, v2] x86/microcode tree changes for v3.19

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Dec 11 2014 - 01:25:31 EST

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 4:42 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Please pull the latest x86-microcode-for-linus git tree from:
> >
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/tip.git x86-microcode-for-linus
>
> Hmm. There's a conflict with commit 02ecc41abcea ("x86,
> microcode: Limit the microcode reloading to 64-bit for now"),

Sorry, should have mentioned that explicitly, but forgot about
it.

> but I'm going to assume that the issue is fixed now, and that
> commit fbae4ba8c4a3 ("x86, microcode: Reload microcode on
> resume") that causes the conflict also handles the 32-bit case
> correctly. So my merge is going to just remove the X86_64 test,
> effectively undoing that first commit, ratehr than keep it
> around.
>
> If it turns out that the 64-bit limitation needs to be still in
> place, holler. We can re-do the ugly 64-bit limit thing if
> required.

Hm, so in my own conflict resolution I kept that check, last I
heard Boris was still seeing weirdnesses (read: crashes) on
32-bit and I'm not sure even the full series fixes it all.

In any case, would be nice to double check this and reinstate the
limitation explicitly if it's still needed, or apply a fix.
Boris?

Thanks,

Ingo