Re: frequent lockups in 3.18rc4

From: Chris Mason
Date: Thu Dec 11 2014 - 16:58:19 EST

On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 4:52 PM, Sasha Levin <sasha.levin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 12/11/2014 04:49 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Thu, Dec 11, 2014 at 6:54 AM, Dave Jones <davej@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So either one of those 'good's actually wasn't, or I'm just cursed.
Even if there was a good that wasn't, that last "bad" (6f929b4e5a02)
is already sufficient just on its own to say that likely v3.16 already
had the problem.

Just do

gitk v3.16..6f929b4e5a02

and cry.

(or "git diff --stat -M v3.16...6f929b4e5a02" to see what that commit
brought in from the common ancestor).

So I'd call that bisect a failure, and your "v3.16 is fine" is
actually suspect after all. Which *might* mean that it's some hardware
issue after all. Or there are multiple different problems, and while
v3.16 was fine, the problem was introduced earlier (in the common
ancestor of that staging tree), then fixed for 3.16, and then
re-introduced later again.

Is it possible that Dave and myself were seeing the same problem after
all?

I'll go bisect it even further back...

For both of you, I'm curious how long 3.18 lasts if you turn off the serial console (and netconsole) completely.

-chris