Re: randconfig build error with next-20141210, in drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/genet

From: Florian Fainelli
Date: Fri Dec 12 2014 - 00:09:10 EST

Le 11/12/2014 11:22, David Miller a écrit :
> From: Jim Davis <jim.epost@xxxxxxxxx> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014
> 09:10:45 -0700
>
>> Building with the attached random configuration file,
>>
>> ERROR: "fixed_phy_register"
>> [drivers/net/ethernet/broadcom/genet/genet.ko] undefined!
>
> Florian, I don't understand why FIXED_PHY is only selected in
> Kconfig if the driver is statically built into the kernel.
>
> That makes no sense at all, you should need that module regardless
> of how the driver itself is enabled.

AFAIR this was introduced to silence a warning you reported:

"I think you need to work on the Kconfig dependencies a little bit more.
I have BCMGENET specified as modular, which absolutely should work. Yet
Kconfig complains.

warning: (BCMGENET) selects FIXED_PHY which has unmet direct
dependencies (NETDEVICES && PHYLIB=y)"

but I agree, this makes no sense, we should select FIXED_PHY
unconditionnally, will send you patches tomorrow to fix that.

--
Florian