Re: [GIT PULL] USB driver fixes for 3.18-rc7

From: Mathias Nyman
Date: Fri Dec 12 2014 - 12:46:10 EST

On 11.12.2014 20:47, Greg KH wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 03, 2014 at 06:02:08PM +0200, Mathias Nyman wrote:

>>> I've been seeing this occasionally recently as well, but was blaming a
>>> "bad" USB 3 hub I have here that I use, and the problem goes away with a
>>> replug.
>>>
>>> Mathias, any ideas what is going on here?
>>>

>> Looks like when xhci changed to use "new scheme" device enumeration for non
>> SuperSpeed devices, we broke the device descriptor read retry for xhci.
>>
>> Normally we try to read the descriptor again, and if it still fails then fall back
>> to old scheme. In this failing xhci case the slot is left in a default state after
>> first failed descriptor read, and we then try to enable the slot again in retry,
>> which is an invalid xhci context state change, and prints the error message:
>>
>> xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Setup ERROR: setup context command for slot 1
>
> I see this all the time on my MinnowboardMax. For slot 2 that is.
>
> And on this machine, it does not boot from USB properly, I have to,
> after the kernel comes up (which was read off of USB by UEFI just fine),
> unplug and plug the storage device back in so that the boot process
> continues.
>
> Works that way for 2 different USB 3.0 storage devices.

I got a patch that should fix the xhci "Setup ERROR" part in a setup-error-fix branch:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mnyman/xhci.git setup-error-fix

It's based on Gregs usb-next tree.
It doesn't solve why the first device descritor read fails.

>> After this It might be hard to get the device addressed.
>>
>> I don't know why it fail the first device descriptor read, but fixing the xhci part
>> should allow more real reties. I'll work on it.
>>
>> The change to use xhci "new scheme" enumeration was done in 3.14 to support known
>> legacy devices requiring it. commit 48fc7dbd52c0559647291f33a10ccdc6cdbe4c72
>
> How can that break "non-legacy" devices?

It added a enable_device callback for all usb2 devices during enumeration, which
fails if called twice, or if the slot was already enabled in the xhci case.
Caused whole enumeration to be aborted.

-Mathias