Re: [RFC 0/4] Stop maintainer abuse

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Wed Dec 17 2014 - 00:15:01 EST

On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 11:31:33PM +0100, Borislav Petkov wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 02:19:02PM -0800, Kevin Cernekee wrote:
> > In the current process, many submitters do not know their maintainer's
> > policy until they get in trouble for violating it.
>
> Just say what Christoph suggested: people should not expect any feedback
> during the merge window. If they get some, fine. It can't get any
> simpler than that.

Or during the week of Plumber's Conference... or LSF/MM... or the
during the Kernel Summit... or if they are in transit to
Linux.conf.au.... sometimes a patch submitter won't get feedback
right away. It's nothing personal.

With all due respect to Steven, I think he over-reacted a little with
his "maintainer abuse" reply. Most of the time people won't get
"yelled" at if they send patches at the wrong time. And what's wrong
for one maintainer will be right for another, and vice versa.

- Ted