Re: frequent lockups in 3.18rc4

From: Dave Jones
Date: Thu Dec 18 2014 - 23:03:51 EST

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 10:58:59PM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> > lock debugging and other overheads (does this still have
> > DEBUG_PAGEALLOC?) you really are getting into a "real" softlockup
> > because things are scaling so horribly badly.
> >
> > If you now disable spinlock debugging and lockdep, hopefully that page
> > table lock now doesn't always get hung up on the lockdep locking, so
> > it starts scaling much better, and maybe you'd not see this...
>
> I can give it a shot. Hopefully there's some further mitigation that
> could be done to allow a workload like this to survive under a debug
> build though, as we've caught *so many* bugs with this stuff in the past.

Turns out also that this build didn't have PROVE_LOCKING enabled.
CONFIG_LOCKDEP was, but that just bloats the structures a little, and
afaik doesn't incur the same runtime overhead.

I also forgot to answer the question above, PAGEALLOC is also off.

So the only thing that was on that could cause spinlock overhead
was DEBUG_SPINLOCK (and LOCK_STAT, though iirc that's not huge either)

Dave