[RFC] background zero-set page for device

From: Gioh Kim
Date: Fri Dec 19 2014 - 02:55:10 EST

There was some discussion to create zero-set pages in background like this:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2004/10/30/73

I'm understand that it is not good for performance.

But I think it can help for a device in my platform.
I'm sorry I can't tell what it is.
But the device needs many zero-set pages, up to several MB,
so that device driver has a loop to calls alloc_page, memset(p, 0, PAGE_SIZE) and cache flush&invalidate.
And the device uses the pages and returns it to kernel. Kernel reads data in the page.

In this case, memset(0) must be done.
I think, if memset(0) is done at idle time, it can remove memset calling of ddk.

Is there any device that needs many zero-set pages?
Can backgound zero-setting page be good for the device?

--
Thanks,
Gioh Kim