RE: [DISCUSSION] USB device remote wakeup is not working for S3 case

From: Alan Stern
Date: Tue Dec 23 2014 - 15:19:54 EST

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014, Du, Changbin wrote:

> > You have to make sure that wakeup is also enabled for the host
> > controller the device is attached to. For some host controllers, it
> > may also be necessary to enable wakeup for the root hub.
> >
> Yes, the root-hub is not wakeup enabled by default, actually hub
> devices are not enabled. It works after I enable it via sysfs interface.

On some hardware, device wakeup requests can work even when root-hub
wakeup is disabled -- it varies.

In general we do not want hubs to be enabled for wakeup. If they were,
then your computer would wake up the moment you unplugged a USB device.
You would not be able to (for example) to put your laptop to sleep,
unplug a USB mouse, and put the laptop in its case.

> > > Could we also enable wakeup for usb mouse? Or is there any concern to
> > enable it?
> > > Per my opinion, most people may expect clicking mouse can awake system.
> >
> > It doesn't matter to me, but you should ask the people on the
> > linux-input mailing list.
> >
> > Also, what about wakeup for a non-USB mouse? Shouldn't that be enabled
> > as well?
> Unfortunately the mouse I found are all of usb so cannot confirm it. The
> concern is if we want usb keyboard/mouse wakeup work by default, it does
> make sense only if the parent hubs are also enabled by default. This is a policy
> issue and may be better place it on userspace. I have no better idea :) .

As mentioned above, it depends on the hardware.

Alan Stern