Re: DRAM unreliable under specific access patern

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Wed Dec 24 2014 - 12:50:56 EST

On Wed 2014-12-24 09:38:22, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 9:25 AM, Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:

> >> One mostly-effective solution would be to stop buying computers
> >> without ECC. Unfortunately, no one seems to sell non-server chips
> >> that can do ECC.
> >
> > Or keep using old computers :-).

> >> Platform-dependent page coloring with very strict, and impossible to
> >> implement fully correctly, page allocation constraints?
> >
> > This seems to be at cacheline level, not at page level, if I
> > understand it correctly.
> >
> > So the problem would is: I have something mapped read-only, and I can
> > still cause bitflips in it.
> >
> > Hmm. So it is pretty obviously a security problem, no need for
> > java. Just do some bit flips in binary root is going to run, and it
> > will crash for him. You can map binaries read-only, so you have enough
> > access.

> Right. So we're mostly screwed.

Well... We could periodically scrub (every few miliseconds) pages
mapped to userspace. We might be able to do some magic and disallow
cache flushes to userspace programs. We might be able to use
performance metrics to detect heavy readers.

We might be able to reprogram DRAM controller to refresh more often.

Or we may switch to AMD systems as they seem to be less suspectible
:-).
Pavel