Re: [Linux-ima-user] Initramfs and IMA Appraisal

From: Mimi Zohar
Date: Mon Dec 29 2014 - 22:21:08 EST

On Mon, 2014-12-29 at 19:55 -0600, Rob Landley wrote:

> On 12/29/2014 03:46 PM, Mimi Zohar wrote:

> >> I added support last year, here's the start of the patch series:
> >>
> >> https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/6/29/101
> >>
> >> The logic is that if you specify a fallback root via root=, then you're
> >> not staying on rootfs (that's what root= _means_, "here is the root
> >> filesystem the kernel is to mount over rootfs"), and thus the extra
> >> infrastructure for tmpfs instead of ramfs is unnecessary.
> >
> > Thanks Rob for the explanation. The problem is that ramfs does not
> > support extended attributes, while tmpfs does.
>
> If you're _using_ initramfs/initmpfs, there's no reason to specify a root=.

The menu entry looks like:
linux /vmlinuz-3.17.0+ root=UUID=94595ff7-0fd4-4ea3-99f2-f7ddf8fbc91f
ro ...
initrd /initramfs-3.17.0+.img

Because "root=" is specified, rootfs is not using tmpfs.

> > The boot loader could
> > "measure" (trusted boot) the initramfs, but as the initramfs is
> > generated on the target system, the initramfs is not signed, preventing
> > it from being appraised (secure Boot). To close the initramfs integrity
> > appraisal gap requires verifying the individual initramfs file
> > signatures, which are stored as extended attributes.
>
> Faced with the phrases "trusted boot" and "integrity appraisal", I plead
> the third.

Fine. Bottom line, rootfs needs to support extended attributes.

> (In the wake of the Snowden infodump,

All the more reason to allow only those files that are properly signed
to be read/executed.

Mimi