Re: Status of tip/x86/apic

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Fri Jan 02 2015 - 12:29:44 EST

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Steven Rostedt" <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: "Thomas Gleixner" <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: "LKML" <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jiang Liu" <jiang.liu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, x86@xxxxxxxxxx, "Linus Torvalds"
> <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Andrew Morton" <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bjorn Helgaas" <bhelgaas@xxxxxxxxxx>,
> "Tony Luck" <tony.luck@xxxxxxxxx>, "Borislav Petkov" <bp@xxxxxxxxx>, "Joerg Roedel" <joro@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Marc
> Zyngier" <marc.zyngier@xxxxxxx>, "Yinghai Lu" <yinghai@xxxxxxxxxx>, "Alex Williamson" <alex.williamson@xxxxxxxxxx>,
> "Mathieu Desnoyers" <mathieu.desnoyers@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Frederic Weisbecker" <fweisbec@xxxxxxxxx>
> Sent: Monday, December 15, 2014 10:52:01 AM
> Subject: Re: Status of tip/x86/apic

[...]
> > I think the above can be solved, so we need to agree on a proper
> > set of tracepoints. I came up with the following list:
> >
> > - trace_irqdomain_create(domain->id, domain->name, ...)
>
> Is that suppose to be a variable number of args? Tracepoints do not
> support a variable length number of args passed in. I guess we could
> add that, but it wont be for this merge window.
>
> I've added Mathieu and Frederic to the Cc list here.

Hi Steven,

Let's wait and see if it's really required first.

FWIW, at the user-space level in LTTng-UST, we have two distinct ways to
do static instrumentation:

* tracepoint(): similar to those within the Linux kernel, except that the
tracepoint is wrapped in a define, so rather than calling:
trace_foo(arg1, arg2);
users call:
tracepoint(foo, arg1, arg2);

Which allows skipping over evaluation of "arg1" and "arg2"
even if they have side-effects when the tracepoint is disabled.

* tracef(): I also added a "tracef()" macro, provides a programmer interface
very similar to printf(), but prints the pretty-printed into the
trace buffers. It can be enabled dynamically similarly to tracepoints,
but does not have per-site event names attached. They are either all
enabled or disabled, and meant mainly for adding temporary debugging
trace statements.

So far, the feedback I got from end users seemed to split static
instrumentation use-cases in two major categories:

1) Instrumentation added into the code base, well structured (tracepoints),
meant to be deployed with the application for in-production use.
They need to be low-overhead,
2) Very quick (and dirty) instrumentation, meant for one-off use while
in development. IOW, a replacement to printf(), with which people are
already familiar. Low-overhead still matters, but not as much as it does
for (1).

This is why we only implemented var arg support in tracef() so far.

> If we do support this (and if it is needed) we could make it use the
> bprintf() infrastructure. It already supports just saving a format and
> args directly to the the buffer, and a way to print them again.

Happy new year :)

Thanks,

Mathieu

--