Re: [RFC v4] debug: prevent entering debug mode on panic/exception.

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Mon Jan 05 2015 - 19:14:18 EST

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 18:08:29 +0530 Kiran Raparthy <kiran.kumar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Colin Cross <ccross@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> debug: prevent entering debug mode on panic/exception.
>
> On non-developer devices, kgdb prevents the device from rebooting
> after a panic.
>
> Incase of panics and exceptions, to allow the device to reboot, prevent
> entering debug mode to avoid getting stuck waiting for the user to interact
> with debugger.
>
> To avoid entering the debugger on panic/exception without any extra
> configuration, panic_timeout is being used which can be set via
> /proc/sys/kernel/panic at run time and CONFIG_PANIC_TIMEOUT sets the default
> value.

hm. Why overload the meaning of panic_timeout in this fashion? If
someone is using kgdb and has panic_timeout set, they'll get quiet a
surprise.

Would it be cleaner/clearer to add some new standalone control for
this? One which is only present if CONFIG_KGDB.

We appear to have forgotten to document panic_timeout. Sigh.