Re: TCP connection issues against Amazon S3

From: Rick Jones
Date: Tue Jan 06 2015 - 14:16:34 EST

A packet dump [1] shows repeated ACK retransmits for some of the
TCP does not retransmit ACK ... do you mean DUPACKs sent by the receiver?

I am trying to understand the problem. Could you confirm that it's the
HTTP responses sent from Amazon S3 got stalled, or HTTP requests sent
from the receiver (your host)?

btw I suspect some middleboxes are stripping SACKOK options from your
SYNs (or Amazon SYN-ACKs) assuming Amazon supports SACK.

The TCP Timestamp option too it seems.

Speaking of middleboxes... It is probably a fish that is red, but a while back I stepped in a middle box (a load balancer) which decided that if it saw "too many" retransmissions in a given TCP window that something was seriously wrong and it would toast the connection. I thought though that was an active reset on the part of the middlebox. (And the client was the active sender not the back-end server)

I'm assuming one incident starts at XX:41:24.748265 in the trace? That does look like it is slowly slogging its way through a bunch of lost traffic, which was I think part of the problem I was seeing with the middlebox I stepped in, but I don't think I see the reset where I would have expected it. Still, it looks like the sender has an increasing TCP RTO as it is going through the slog (as it likely must since there are no TCP timestamps?), to the point it gets larger than I'm guessing curl was willing to wait, so the FIN at XX:41:53.269534 after a ten second or so gap.

rick jones