Re: Fastmap update v2 (pile 1)

From: Ezequiel Garcia
Date: Fri Jan 09 2015 - 17:12:07 EST

On 01/09/2015 06:55 PM, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> Am 09.01.2015 um 22:38 schrieb Ezequiel Garcia:
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> On 11/24/2014 10:20 AM, Richard Weinberger wrote:
>>> Artem,
>>>
>>> as requested I'm resending my fastmap work in smaller pieces.
>>> This is pile 1 of 7.
>>> Rebasing my patches to ubifs.git was a massive PITA because the
>>> logging style changes touched a lot of code and almost every patch
>>> failed to apply and needed inspection by hand.
>>> The first patches are bug fixes, the latter introduce cleanups
>>> and new features.
>>> After all bugfixes are mainline I'll make sure that all needed
>>> fixes go into -stable.
>>>

>> Maybe it would be clearer if you could point out exactly which of these
>> are considered bugfixes.
>
> All of Pile1, 2, 3 and 4. :-)
> One or tow patches are preparations for the real fix but obviously you'll need them
> too.
> The rest are enhancements and cleanups.

What do you mean by "the rest"?

> As I wrote before I've structured the patch set in a way to make backporting easy.
>
>> For bugfixes, having a detailed explanation of the problem the commit is
>> meant to fix would be better as well.
>
> Okay, I'll add the horror stories to these patches.

I know it's a real pain, but if you can add a Fixes: tag, it would
certainly help Artem track down the bug. The good thing is that you get
the -stable hassle for free.

>> This patchset seems to have stalled, so perhaps having this information
>> would help Artem to pick the ones that you point as fixes, before we
>> miss another cycle.
>
> The question is, shall I wait for Artem or resend again?

Hm, well, given we are just a handful of developers, and we are all time
constrained, maybe we could focus on the first two piles for now:

Pile 1, November 24, https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/11/24/324
Pile 2, November 30, https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/11/30/50

> Most patches are completely unseen.

Well, those two piles look reviewed and tested to me.
--
Ezequiel Garcia, VanguardiaSur
www.vanguardiasur.com.ar