Re: [alsa-devel] unload Audio drivers while playback stream is active case kernel crash

From: Lars-Peter Clausen
Date: Wed Jan 14 2015 - 04:34:43 EST

On 01/14/2015 09:25 AM, jiwang wrote:
Hi

On 01/14/2015 05:15 PM, Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:
On 01/14/2015 08:43 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
At Tue, 13 Jan 2015 21:54:12 +0000,
Mark Brown wrote:

On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 06:24:44PM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:
Wang, Jiada (ESD) wrote:

I am using i.MX6Q sabreSD board, which have imx_wm892 machine driver,
wm8962 codec and SSI CPU DAI,

I got Kernel crash when unloading audio drivers (playback stream is
active)
modprobe -r snd_soc_imx_wm8962
modprobe -r snd_soc_fsl_ssi
modprobe -r snd_soc_wm8962

The root problem is that you can unload the module while playing.
The corresponding module refcounts should have been increased during
used.

Do we miss [try_]module_get() somewhere in ASoC?

That doesn't help, users can still forcibly unbind the driver at runtime
without loading the module - and there's always the potential for
actually hotpluggable hardware. The teardown paths should be able to
cope somewhat gracefully.

The module refcount has to be handled while being used for stopping
module unload. That's irrelevant from the dynamic unbinding support
itself. Of course, the module refcount doesn't save the world, but
it's the right fix for this particular scenario.

Refcounting won't help in this case. The issue is caused by a delayed work
item that gets launched when the PCM stream is stopped. So if you decrease
the refcount when the stream is stopped you still have a window where it
is possible to remove the module while the work is still being scheduled.

And while we do flush the scheduled work when we remove the ASoC card this
is done before snd_card_free() is called. So when snd_card_free() is
called it gets re-scheduled again. I think the correct fix is to add a
snd_card_disconnect() at the very top of soc_cleanup_card_resources().

when stream is active, snd_card_disconnect() will trigger pcm_close() be
executed by another thread,
we can't ensure the pcm_close() is executed before the rest of
soc_cleanup_card_resources().

Hm right, because that only gets called once the userspace application finally closes the PCM device. Takashi approach with moving things to the card_free callback might work better.

- Lars