Re: [alsa-devel] unload Audio drivers while playback stream is active case kernel crash

From: Takashi Iwai
Date: Wed Jan 14 2015 - 05:50:56 EST

At Wed, 14 Jan 2015 11:00:47 +0100,
Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:

> On 01/14/2015 09:47 AM, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > At Wed, 14 Jan 2015 09:15:36 +0100,
> > Lars-Peter Clausen wrote:

> >> Refcounting won't help in this case. The issue is caused by a delayed work
> >> item that gets launched when the PCM stream is stopped. So if you decrease
> >> the refcount when the stream is stopped you still have a window where it is
> >> possible to remove the module while the work is still being scheduled.
> >
> > OK, so it's not about active stream. From the reporter's description,
> > I supposed that the module gets unloaded while playing a stream, which
> > shouldn't be allowed.
>
> Well one of the ways to trigger this is to remove the module while the
> stream is active. But it is not exclusively a problem module unload problem.
> E.g. the same happens if you hot-unplug the ASoC card.

Yes, unbinding can trigger a similar problem, ends up the same bad
code path.

> I don't think that we need to prevent module unload when a stream is active.
> From a framework point of view is not different from hot-unplug. I don't
> see a reason why we'd jump through hoops to actively forbid removing the
> module once it works just fine.

Well, the module unload means a more drastic cleanup. Even if you
unbind, the code and data are still there while module unload may
clean them up all.

Above all, disallowing the module unload while using is the common
behavior of any other drivers. Why do we have to be a rebel against
all civil manner? :)

Takashi