Re: futex(2) man page update help request

From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
Date: Thu Jan 15 2015 - 10:12:40 EST

Hello Darren,

I give you the same apology as to Thomas for the
long-delayed response to your mail.

And I repeat my note to Thomas:
In the next day or two, I hope to send out the new version
of the futex(2) page for review. The new draft is a bit
bigger (okay -- 4 x bigger) than the current page. And there
are a quite number of FIXMEs that I've placed in the page
for various points--some minor, but a few major--that need
to be checked or fixed. Would you have some time to review
that page?

In the meantime, I have a couple of questions, which, if
you could answer them, I would work some changes into the
page before sending.

1. In various places, distinction is made between non-PI
futexs and PI futexes. But what determines that distinction?
From the kernel's perspective, hat make a futex one type
or another? I presume it is to do with the types of blocking
waiters on the futex, but it would be good to have a formal
definition.

2. Can you say something about the pairing requirements of
FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI and FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI.
What is the requirement and why do we need it?

Most of the rest of this mail is just a checklist noting
what I did with your comments. No response is needed
in most cases, but there is one that I have marked with
"???". If you could reply to that. I'd be grateful.

On 05/15/2014 10:35 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
> On 5/15/14, 7:14, "Thomas Gleixner" <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Wow Thomas, I planned to do exactly this and you beat me to it. Again.
> Thanks for getting this started.
>
> Michael, I imagine you want something more condensed, and I'll add to what
> tglx posted (inline below) to try and get you that, but if you have
> questions and need to fill in the gap, the paper I presented at RTLWS11 in
> '09 covers this particularly nasty OPCODE in detail:
>
> http://lwn.net/images/conf/rtlws11/papers/proc/p10.pdf
>
> I believe Michael is looking for some higher level documentation, like how
> to use these and what they are intended for.

Yes, that would be good.

> Probably something more like
> Ulrich's Futexes are Tricky paper - but let's start with getting the op
> codes, arguments, and return codes fleshed out.

Okay.

> For all the PI opcodes, we should probably mention something about the
> futex value scheme (TID), whereas the other opcodes do not require any
> specific value scheme.
>
> No Owner: 0
> Owner: TID
> Waiters: TID | FUTEX_WAITERS
>
> This is the relevant section from the referenced paper:
>
> The PI futex operations diverge from the oth-
> ers in that they impose a policy describing how
> the futex value is to be used. If the lock is un-
> owned, the futex value shall be 0. If owned, it
> shall be the thread id (tid) of the owning thread.
> If there are threads contending for the lock, then
> the FUTEX_WAITERS flag is set. With this policy in
> place, userspace can atomically acquire an unowned
> lock or release an uncontended lock using an atomic
> instruction and their own tid. A non-zero futex
> value will force waiters into the kernel to lock. The
> FUTEX_WAITERS flag forces the owner into the kernel
> to unlock. If the callers are forced into the kernel,
> they then deal directly with an underlying rt_mutex
> which implements the priority inheritance semantics.
> After the rt_mutex is acquired, the futex value is up-
> dated accordingly, before the calling thread returns
> to userspace.
>
> It is important to note that the kernel will update the futex value prior
> to returning to userspace. Unlike other futex op codes,
> FUTEX_CMP_REUQUE_PI (and FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI, FUTEX_LOCK_PI are designed
> for the implementation of very specific IPC mechanisms).

??? Great text. May I presume that I can take this text
and freely adapt it for the man page? (Actually, this is a
request for forgiveness, rather than permission :-).)

>> FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI
>>
>> PI aware variant of FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE. Inner futex at uaddr is
>> a non PI futex. Outer futex to which is requeued is a PI futex
>> at uaddr2.
>
> Inner/outer terminology applies specifically to the glibc pthread
> condition variable and mutex use case, but is overly specific for the man
> page. Consider:
>
> PI aware variant for FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE. Requeue tasks blocked on uaddr via
> FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI from a non-PI source futex (uaddr) to a PI target
> futex (uaddr2).

Thanks for that text. It is easier to grasp.

>> The waiters on uaddr must wait in FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI.
>>
>> The argument val is contains the number of waiters on uaddr
>> which are immediately woken up. Must be 1 for this opcode.
>
> Because the point is to avoid the thundering herd in the first place, and
> other nasty little races and faulting corner cases...

I added the piece about "thundering herd".

>> The timeout argument is abused to transport the number of
>> waiters which are requeued on to the futex at uaddr2. The
>> pointer is typecasted to u32.
>

> val3 contains the expected value of uaddr (same as
> FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE)

Yes. (The text now says that 'val3' has the same purpose as
for FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE.)

>> Darren, can you fill in the missing details?
>
> Yup...
>

>> [EFAULT] Kernel was unable to access the futex value at uaddr
>> or uaddr2
>>
>> [ENOMEM] Kernel could not allocate state
>>
>> [EINVAL] The supplied uaddr/uaddr2 arguments do not point to a
>> valid object, i.e. pointer is not 4 byte aligned
>>
>> [EINVAL] uaddr equal uaddr2. Requeue to same futex.
>>
>> [EINVAL] The kernel detected inconsistent state between the
>> user space state at uaddr and the kernel state,
>> i.e. it detected a waiter which waits in
>> FUTEX_LOCK_PI on uaddr
>
> instead of FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI.

Thanks. I added that detail.

>> [EINVAL] The kernel detected inconsistent state between the
>> user space state at uaddr and the kernel state,
>> i.e. it detected a waiter which waits in
>> FUTEX_WAIT[_BITSET] on uaddr
>>
>> [EINVAL] The kernel detected inconsistent state between the
>> user space state at uaddr2 and the kernel state,
>> i.e. it detected a waiter which waits in
>> FUTEX_WAIT on uaddr2.
>
> [EINVAL] The kernel detected the FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI call is
> attempting to requeue a task to a futex other than that
> specified by the matching FUTEX_WAIT_REQUEUE_PI call for
> that task.

Thanks. Added.

> A number of these EINVALs can probably be combined into "Kernel detected
> bad state" as far as the C library is concerned, but we can consolidate
> later. But basically, EINVAL is returned if the non-pi to pi or op pairing
> semantics are violated.

I think the page probably needs some text to cover that point. I'll add
a FIXME for review.

>> [EINVAL] The supplied bitset is zero.
>
> Bitset doesn't apply to FUTEX_CMP_REQUEUE_PI.

Thanks.

> [EINVAL] nr_wake != 1

Thanks, I'd already spotted this, but it's good to have confirmation.

> EAGAIN == EWOULDBLOCK. We use each in the kernel, but will just refer to
> them here as EAGAIN.

Yes. And I've followed that convention now in the man page.

>> [EAGAIN] uaddr1 readout is not equal the compare value in
>> argument val3
>>
>> [EAGAIN] The futex owner TID of uaddr2 is about to exit, but
>> has not yet handled the internal state cleanup. Try
>> again.
>>
>> [EPERM] Caller is not allowed to attach the waiter to the
>> futex at uaddr2 Can be a legitimate issue or a hint
>> for state corruption in user space
>>
>> [ESRCH] The TID in the user space value at uaddr2 does not exist
>
> Hrm, I'm missing ESRCH and EPERM in my state diagrams.... put yes, we can
> get ESRCH when looking up PI state, and we can return that from
> futex_requeue.... That needs some time to review...
>
> I'm not seeing the EPERM path, where is that coming from?

Any further insight on the above?

>> [EDEADLOCK] The requeuing of a waiter to the kernel representation
>> of the PI futex at uaddr2 detected a deadlock scenario.
>>
>> [ENOSYS] Not implemented on all architectures and not supported
>> on some CPU variants (runtime detection)
>
> Return value >= 0 is successful, indicating the number of of tasks
> requeued or woken (3 requeued and 1 woken would return 4).

Yes. Already noted.

Cheers,

Michael

--