Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] userfaultfd

From: Austin S Hemmelgarn
Date: Thu Jan 15 2015 - 11:08:44 EST

On 2015-01-14 18:01, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
7) distributed shared memory that could allow simultaneous mapping of
regions marked readonly and collapse them on the first exclusive
write. I'm mentioning it as a corollary, because I'm not aware of
anybody who is planning to use it that way (still I'd like that
this will be possible too just in case it finds its way later on).
While I haven't actually written any code for it yet, I've been thinking about the possibility to use this to allow qemu to do distributed emulation of a NUMA system (ie, you could run qemu on a Beowulf cluster and make it look to the guest OS like it's running on a big NUMA system, essentially SSI clustering for people who don't have a multi-million dollar budget). Having userfaultd to work with would make this exponentially easier to implement.