sysfs methods can race with ->remove

From: Alan Stern
Date: Thu Jan 15 2015 - 13:22:11 EST

Tejun:

The context is that we have been talking about
drivers/scsi/scsi_scan.c:scsi_rescan_device(), which is called by the
store_rescan_field() sysfs method in scsi_sysfs.c. The problem is
this: What happens in scsi_rescan_device if the device is unbound from
its driver before the module_put call? The dev->driver->owner
calculation would dereference a NULL pointer.

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 10:07:00AM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> > and the kernfs core insures that the underlying device won't be
> > deallocated while a sysfs method runs.
>
> It has a reference to keep it from beeing freed, but so far I can't find
> anything that prevents ->remove from beeing called while we are in or
> just before a method call.

There are two types of methods to think about: Those registered by the
subsystem and those registered by the driver.

If a method is registered by the driver, then the driver will
unregister it when the ->remove routine runs. I don't know for
certain, but I would expect that the sysfs/kernfs core will make sure
that any existing method calls complete before unregister returns.
This would prevent races.

If a method is registered by the subsystem, and if the method runs
entirely within the subsystem's code, then ->remove doesn't matter.
The driver could be unbound while the method is running and it would be
okay.

The only time we have a problem is when the method is registered by the
subsystem and the method calls into the driver. (Note that this is
exactly what happens with scsi_rescan_device.)

> > > But this seems like a more generic problem, and at least a quick glance at
> > > the pci_driver methods seems like others don't have a good
> > > synchroniation of ->remove against random driver methods.
> >
> > Can you give one or two examples?
>
> I look at the sriov_configure PCI method, or the various sub-methods
> under pci_driver.err_handler.

The sriov_numvfs_store method does have the same problem, and so does
the reset_store method (by way of pci_reset_function ->
pci_dev_save_and_disable -> pci_reset_notify).

Tejun, is my analysis correct? How should we fix these races?

Alan Stern