Re: Query: ARM64: Behavior of el1_dbg exception while executing el0_dbg

From: Pratyush Anand
Date: Fri Jan 16 2015 - 09:55:45 EST

Sorry for writing so many mails...But I have one more closer information which could help to further explain the behavior. See below.

On Friday 16 January 2015 05:30 PM, Pratyush Anand wrote:
Hi Will,

On Thursday 15 January 2015 10:17 PM, Pratyush Anand wrote:
Hi Will / Catalin,

On Tuesday 13 January 2015 11:23 PM, Pratyush Anand wrote:
I will still try to find some way to capture enable_dbg macro path.H

I did instrumented debug tap points at all the location from where
enable_debug macro is called(see attached debug patch). But, I do not
see that, execution reaches to any of those tap points between el0_dbg
and el1_dbg, and tap points debug log also confirms that el1_dbg is
raised before el0_dbg is returned.

Probably we all missed this, ARMv8 specs is very clear about it. In
section "D2.1 About debug exceptions" it says:

Software Breakpoint Instruction exceptions cannot be masked. The PE
takes Software Breakpoint Instruction exceptions regardless of both of
the following:
• The current Exception level.
• The current Security state.

So, reception of el1_dbg while executing el0_dbg seems perfectly normal
to me. If you agree then I am back with the original query which I asked
in the beginning of the
thread,(http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.arm.kernel/383672)
ie how can instruction_pointer be wrong when second el1_dbg is called
recursively(as follows).

[1]-> el0_dbg (After executing BRK instruction by user)
[2] -> el1_dbg (when uprobe break handler at [1] executes BRK
instruction)
(At the end of this ELR_EL1 is programmed with fffffdfffc000004)

With new tap point debug of entry.S, I see that:

After this we are receiving one more exception and that is el1_inv. Now,
as soon as enable_dbg is called in el1_inv, we receive next single step exception, with ELR_EL1 value as next instruction address after enable_dbg of el1_inv. EC value of ESR_EL1(0x86000007) in el1_inv is 0x21 ie ESR_EL1_EC_IABT_EL1 and IFSC is 0x07

Hummmm..So, why did we receive here, an instruction abort in EL1 due to Translation fault, third level??? I do not have that much knowledge yet, to decipher it... :(

[3] -> el1_dbg (when kprobe break handler at [2] enables single
stepping)
(Here ELR_EL1 was found fffffe0000092470).So When this el1_dbg
was received, then regs->pc values are not same what was programmed in
ELR_EL1 at the return of [2].

~Pratyush

PS: Debug code is here:
https://github.com/pratyushanand/linux.git : ml_arm64_uprobe_devel_debug_el1_inv_while_kprobe_insertion_at_uprobe_breakpoint_handler