Re: How to handle access to multiple PHYs through MDIO

From: Florian Fainelli
Date: Fri Jan 16 2015 - 20:47:23 EST

Hi Ray,

On 16/01/15 17:10, Ray Jui wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Our SoC, Cygnus, uses a generic MDC/MDIO controller to talk to various
> PHYs, including 2 x Ethernet GPHY, 2 x PCIe Serdes, and 3 x USB PHYs. In
> this case, how should I work out a generic PHY driver to handle this?

Interesting, I have typically seen separate MDIO controllers for at
least Ethernet and USB/PCIe/SATA.

> I notice that most generic PHY drivers are in drivers/phy/*, but
> Ethernet seems to have its own interface of talking to a PHY through
> MDIO (drivers/net/phy/*).

That's right, the Ethernet PHY library predates the generic PHY library
from Kishon and they have little to no common ground.

> I need a single driver to handle these so there isn't any race condition
> for this single MDIO access in our system.

How about the following design:

- you create a MDIO bus controller library in e.g:
drivers/phy/cygnus-mdio.c which offers generic generic read/write
operations with a prototype looking like this:

int mdio_read(void *device, enum device_type, int reg, int addr);
- int mdio_write(void *device, enum device_type, int reg, int addr, int
value)
- where device_type is MDIO_DEV_SERDES or MDIO_DEV_GPHY

- these reads and writes are protected by a local spinlock which is not
exposed to the caller, it just needs to know that it gets serialized
access to the controller

- you write a MDIO controller in drivers/phy/ for the USB and PCIe PHYs
which uses this library and interfaces with Kishon's PHY Library operations

- you create a MDIO bus controller driver in drivers/net/phy/ which also
uses this library and registers with Linux using mdiobus_register()

This is imho the easiest way to achieve what you want here, however, you
could also stash all of what I describe above in a single MDIO bus
driver in drivers/phy/ and ifdef out what is relevant based on your
kernel configuration, up to you, there could be some tricky dependencies
to solve though.
--
Florian